Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My story of 2 cops - Lavia and Webber

So last week I went to court to help a friend of mine. I wasn’t there to testify; I was just there for moral support. I was excited to go more-so because it was in municipal court in the “new” City Hall. I had never been in the building and I hear that all the chiefs and commanders walk from their building at 620, to City Hall for many meetings. I was hoping to run into Stanley, Louie, Kevin or someone else and inroduce myself and get a photo of them for this site. I knew I wouldn’t run into Jack Harris, because he was traveling to Washington, DC.

So part of this court case involved the testimony of 2 cops. One was Vincent Lavia and the other was K. Webber. I was sitting in one of those little rooms with my friend and these two cops.

These cops could not have been more polar opposites. It reminded me of Goofus and Gallant from Highlights Magazine, when I was a kid in the doctor’s office.



Vincent Lavia was a pleasure - he was Gallant. He was laughing, communicating, telling us stories on how he just relocated his position to the Ahwatukee office and was just an all around good guy.

K Weeber was a jerk or at least a jerk-in-training. Clearly he was Goofus. His first words were...”And who are you?” I almost said, " I'm the dude who's going to put my size 13 foot up your ass, if you don't stop acting like a jerk" but I was there with my friend. K Weeber seemed more interested in texting on his phone. It was clear this dude was either having a bad day or a bad life. We even mentioned it to Vincent and he just shrugged his shoulders and kept talking to us.

So Vincent – if you are reading this – thanks for being a great guy. The person I was with was comforted by you and really appreciated the levity you brought to a tense court case. Good luck to you as a cop. Just don’t let anyone quash your spirits and defuse your great personality.

And the K. Webber – WTF were you thinking, man?
Maybe you were having a bad day, but let’s hope you are not a full-time jerk in your job and be thankful you didn't go home with a size 13 loafer up your butt. You need to lighten up and be friendlier. You wouldn’t even tell us your name and what the “K” stood for. Put your damn phone away! It’s rude to pull out your phone in the middle of a conversation. Was the text and email that important? Was Jack personally calling you from DC to give you an update on the Memorial? You were very standoffish, condescending and rude.

Brother, we all have bad days. Maybe your wife/girlfriend threw you out or dumped you; who knows what was happening, frankly, I don't care. It is the grace one exudes under pressure that sets them apart from the rest. I t's a good lesson to learn. It's nice to be important K. Weeber, but it is more important to be nice!

Think about your actions. Think about the impression you left with us and a fellow cop.

Maybe you care, maybe you don’t. I can promise you your life will be better and easier if you follow the actions of your fellow officer Vincent Lavia. You won’t only help yourself, buy you will help many of your brothers in blue.

Let’s put it this way K. Weeber, if I ever had a run in with you and you were looking for me to be cooperative, you wouldn’t get it with that attitude you gave in court. Undoubtedly in such a situation, you would probably be going home with my foot...in your ass.

I also tell all the officers who contact me who have 20-30 years of service, that the best thing they can do is to take 5-10 “K.Weebers” under their wings and teach them to not be condescending, rude, jerks!! It will pay off in spades for the Phoenix PD or any PD. They ought to offer a communications course (both verbal and non-verbal) to all officers before they graduate.

No comments: